Fatigue, poor digestion, weight gain, constant aches and pains and regular illnesses can all be signs that your body may be toxic (too many artificial chemicals for your body to process). While doing a detox is a great idea, getting rid of the causes of your toxicity can help your body stay clean and efficient.
Thousands of toxins exist in the air, water and food supply around you every day. They include, but are not nearly limited to: pesticides, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), molds, fungus, phthalates (found in plastics), heavy metals, chlorine and preservatives.
While we can’t stay away from all environmental toxins, we do have control over what we have in our home. Here are some steps that you can take to detoxify your home.
- Open windows as often as possible to get fresh air into your home
- Use a water filter
- Decrease your dependence on plastic and get rid of plastic containers (especially for food)
- Switch from standard household cleaning products to cleaner and greener ones
- Keep your home free of dust and excess moisture
- Replace skin care, beauty, personal products (deodorant, toothpaste, cosmetics, hair products, nail polish and perfumes) with less toxic and chemical free options
- Decrease or stop taking medications (with the consultation of the medical professional who prescribed them)
- Buy clothes and linens made of natural fibers (such as cotton or wool) without added stain and/or wrinkle guards
- Eat organic, free range vegetables, fruits, meats and products
- Eat a minimal amount of processed food
- Do not use pesticides or fertilizers in your yard or garden
Finally, some of us are mentally, emotionally and spiritually toxic to varying degrees. Let go of resentments and start forgiving people. Get rid of isolation, loneliness, anger, jealousy, and hostility. All of these negative thoughts and attitudes bring toxins into our lives.
Removing toxins from your life will help make you feel free, clean and vibrant.